Point-of-care testing is among the fastest growing disciplines within laboratory medicine and clinical diagnostics. With certification through the AACC Board of Certification, you can showcase your proven expertise. As a Certified Point-of-Care Testing Professional (CPP), you will stand out as someone who has gone above and beyond to demonstrate proficiency in point-of-care testing.
Apply to take the certification exam
Who Are Certified Point-of-Care Testing Professionals?
CPP certification is designed for all personnel who perform diagnostic tests outside the central laboratory, including near-patient testing, point-of-care device selection and validation, quality management, operator training, regulatory compliance, and serving as a liaison with the central laboratory.
To be eligible for the CPP credential, you must have either:
- A four-year degree in a biological, chemical, physical, or medical laboratory science or in nursing and at least two years of direct work experience in point-of-care testing.
- At two-year degree in medical laboratory science or medical laboratory technology and four years of direct work experience in point-of-care testing.
About the Exam
The Point-of-Care Testing Professional Certification exam is a two-hour exam consisting of 175 multiple choice questions. The examination is only available online and is monitored by an online proctor via webcam. This allows candidates to take the timed exam in the convenience of their own home or via personal laptop at a time scheduled by the candidate.
The exam is offered twice annually, in the spring (last week of May) and fall (first week of November).
The next exam period is May 21-28, 2021.
How Do I Apply?
A completed application consists of:
- An education transcript or credential evaluation report
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letter from a supervisor documenting your point-of-care experience
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Application fee
You can view more details on the application requirements here.
For complete details on the certification and application process, please review the AACC Point-of-Care Professional Certification Candidate Handbook.